Brussels Sprouts and Shiitake Mushroom Soup
You can serve this with or without the beans, but adding them makes this soup into a one-pot meal.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 14 -16 ounces small Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 15-ounce can great northern beans, drained and well-rinsed (optional)
- 1 cup no-chicken broth (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice (optional)
- Heat a large, non-stick pot. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until it becomes translucent. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook until onion begins to brown, about 2 more minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for about two more minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for the optional ingredients. Cover and simmer on low heat until rice is cooked, about 50 minutes. Check seasonings and add more along with the lemon juice, if desired. If you’re using the beans, add them and the broth and cook for about 15 more minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s) | Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4 (4-6 bowls)
Nutrition (per serving, with beans): 290 calories, 13 calories from fat, 1.6g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 842.5mg sodium, 952mg potassium, 59.1g carbohydrates, 11.7g fiber, 5.6g sugar, 14.4g protein, 5.1 points.
Without beans: Calories: 175, Calories From Fat: 10, Total Fat: 1.2g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 726mg, Potassium: 607.1mg, Carbohydrates: 38g, Fiber: 6.9g, Sugar: 5.6g, Protein: 6.9g. 2.8 points